Sugopetite was founded on the four pillars of style, sustainability, quality, and convenience. Our commitment to sustainability lets you feel as good about your dress as you feel in it.
The Fashion Industry
If there were ever an industry type for change, it’s fashion.
- the fashion industry is responsible for 10% of global CO2 emissions (Forbes)
- and 24% of insecticides and 11% of pesticides used (McKinsey & Company)
- one cotton shirt requires 2,700 liters of water—equivalent to what one person drinks in two-and-a-half years. (McKinsey & Company)
- the cotton in one pair of jeans requires 10,000 liters of water, or 10 years of drinking water! (United Nations)
- endangered and ancient forests are cut down and replaced by trees for wood-based fabrics such as rayon, viscose, and modal (Sustain Your Style)
- “fast fashion” leads us to buy 60% more clothing – but 40% of the garments in a US closet are never worn (Forbes)
- in the US alone, more than 10 million tons of clothing are sent to landfills each year, some of which take hundreds of years to decompose (the balance small business)
Sugopetite will lead the fashion industry by example, to protect our planet.
We’re utilizing state-of-the art, recycled PET, Chitosante fabric.
- production of our recycled polyester requires 70 percent less energy compared to virgin polyester
- every one of our dresses keeps about 30 bottles of plastic out of oceans, landfills (where it would take up to 1000 years to biodegrade), and incinerators (with toxic emissions)
- recycled PET is combined with biomass from crustaceans – not fibers from thirsty plants, like cotton- or wood-based fabrics
- this process does not use biomass that involves pesticides or insecticides
- our high quality designs are not “fast fashion” – classic styles never go out of trend, go from day to night, and are built to last for years as a staple of your wardrobe
- virgin polyester is almost the same as recycled polyester, in terms of quality, but our recycled fabric reduces the extraction petroleum from the Earth and lessens our dependence on this non-renewable resource
Our Manufacturing Impact
We are now a small team creating beautiful dresses for you. But with just our first production run, we’re making a difference. We hope you will share in our commitment to sustainable fashion, and together we can watch these numbers grow!